Thursday, February 18, 2010

Happy National Engineers Week

Reach. Respect. Recognize. I'm not sure what that means. Anyway, here's what it really means to be an engineer:



Breaking News:
This morning a man intentionally flew a small plane into an Austin,TX office building housing, among other things, an IRS office. The man's occupation? You guessed it, engineer.
Initial reports are that the pilot might be Joseph Andrew Stack, a software engineer. His wife Cheryl and his daughter were rescued from the burning home. The pilot might have stolen the plane from Georgetown airport.

From here.

Another Update. The pilot engineer's manifesto is here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason W. said...

After reading his manifesto, I realize that he is pretty much like nearly every single engineer I know. Except with a pilot's license.

February 20, 2010 at 8:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Mike said...

Yep. I was thinking it sounded like a standard engineering memo in his inability to understand that the universe is not a black box system that yields consistent output Y for input X.

February 21, 2010 at 5:53:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jason W. said...

Yes, the universe is not linear, and just because you are bad at something doesn't mean the game is rigged. Still, since this guy reminds me simultaneously of several dozen of my work-pals (present bloggers excluded) I can't help but have a soft spot for him.
In fact, you remember me telling you that one of my Texas pals off'ed himself about three years back? Similar story actually.

February 22, 2010 at 8:49:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home