Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Short Book Review: The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker

Sub-titled "The Modern Denial of Human Nature", this book deals with evolutionary psychology and the controversy it creates. The author starts with a history of the "Nature vs. Nurture" debate, starting from Hobbes and Rousseau, and ending up at modern feminism. He explores the growing scientific consensus the Nature is dominant and the fierce opposition this had caused on both the left and right.

Much of this book deals with the politics surrounding evolutionary psychology. Pinker does discuss some of the aspects and implications of genetically dominated behavior, which is the most interesting part of the book. The history of the debate and the current politics surrounding it is also interesting and well done, but for deep insight into how genetics affect behavior, "The Moral Animal" by Robert Wright is the better choice.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

P.S. For you parents out there, the book makes clear that between their peer group and genetics, you have essentially no input into how your kids turn out, so you might as well quit trying.

P.P.S. A couple days after a certain Filipino friend mentioned that he was worried about his young son playing with dolls, I read a brief passage in the book where the author mentions that taking dolls away from your son has no impact on whether or not he turns out gay. Then Pinker lowers the boom in a casual aside mentioning that there are studies that show boys who play with dolls are more likely to turn out gay. I didn't have the heart to tell my friend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason W. said...

I've not read this work by Pinker, but I will second your statement about Wright's book. As for being a parent, I'm well aware that we are raising the 6th billionth hairless primate on this pale blue dot. However; she is just beginning to show preference for certain things. For example: cars, balls, and 80's heavy metal such as Judas Priest and the Scorpions. I was fully prepared to blame Jackie for most of this, but now that I read your review, I guess it's just in her genes. As a side note, I'm not worried about her sexual preference, since she will be hetero even if it's the last thing I do. But I am rather worried how popular she'll be with the boys if even these three preferences persist because I know what boys want. I read Wrights book.

March 16, 2006 at 8:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jason W. said...

Update: As for your Filipino friend whom you didn't have the heart to tell about the dolls and the gay thing... thanks to the simplicity of e-mail, now you don't have to.
You can thank me later.
-j

March 17, 2006 at 10:30:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home