Monday, January 30, 2006

Movie Review: The Island

The movie starts in humanity's last remaining refuge after some sort of vague calamity has left the Earth "contaminated" . The society is filled with mostly good-looking survivors (dressed in white) overseen by a humorless and slightly less good-looking security force (dressed in black). Our hero, Lincoln Echo Six, is becoming increasingly uncomfortable in his Orwellian life, hoping that one day he will win the lottery and be allowed to emigrate to "the Island", the only habitable part of Earth left. In the mean time he keeps himself busy with strange dreams, a regimented diet, a repetative job, and an asexual relationship with his friend Jordan Two Delta.

When Jordan wins the Island lottery, Lincoln soon discovers the truth about his home. He and the others are actually clones grown to provide organs for their wealthy 'hosts'. Lincoln and Jordan soon escape and find themselves in the New Mexico desert, running from a team of mercenaries in a world they don't understand.

Overall, this is a surprisingly good action movie. The cloning is standard movie 'let's make a full grown clone' stuff, but it makes sense in this context, except for the part where they grow the clone to nearly the same age as the 'host'. I mean, if you're sixty and want a new liver, wouldn't you want the liver of a twenty year-old instead of a sixty year-old. The head honcho of the cloning company is the stereotypical Hollywood villain, a combo mad scientist/heartless businessman that seems popular these days. The movie also has some great chases and action scenes.

Rating: 5 stars - 1 star (no Salma Hayek) - 1/2 star (stereotypical villain) = 3.5 stars.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jason W. said...

Hmmm. Was it a "full-throttle thrill-ride"? Because that is what I'm looking for. Just the other day, I was thinking that I haven't seen a full-throttle thrill-ride of a dystopian future in a while.

This could be just what I'm looking for. I like the girl in there with Obi Wan, or whatever his real name is. Why couldn't she have been Amedala?

Speaking of movies, we just ordered "on-demand" cable from Comcast. Just to kick it up a notch and watch movies whenever we want. Now I can enjoy "Krull" or "The Stupids" or some other 1-star material completely free of additional charges. This technology is really paying off.

Anyway, you've piqued my interest. I shall Netflix this one forthwith.
PS. I'm still waiting for your review of Penn & Teller's "Bullshit!"

January 31, 2006 at 8:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mike said...

It is definitely a thrill-ride, with a little somewhat-coherent SF thrown in for good measure. I'm working on more reviews, but it takes time. I'm not a machine. Yet.

February 1, 2006 at 10:26:00 AM PST  
Blogger KMac said...

So what are the scoring thresholds for 1) own it, 2) must see in theater, 3) rent it, 4) gag reflex.

With Ebert & the other guy, there are only 4 possible ratings. With your scoring system, there's like an infinite spectrum. I'm a simple guy, throw me a bone here. I need structure! Tell me what to do, please.

February 2, 2006 at 11:40:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jason W. said...

I suspect that Mike's system involve several coefficients. Sort of a modified Drake's Equation.

I think it's safe to say that if SH=0 (No Salma Hayek) the total score cannot be greater than 4 stars.

February 2, 2006 at 1:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mike said...

I haven't quantified the system yet. I can't decide between "simple" or "too complex to decipher". I let you know when it's finalized, in the meantime I'm open to suggestions.

February 2, 2006 at 4:38:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home