Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Short Book Review: Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds

A sequel to Reynolds' Revelation Space, Redemption Ark follows Nevil Clavain, a very old soldier on a race to recover long lost weapons of terrible power. The weapons are desperately needed to fight the Inhibitors (or wolves), a machine intelligence that has been destroying all intelligent life in the galaxy for billions of years and is very good at it. If this sounds like a plot from a particularly uninteresting Star Trek episode, don't be fooled. Redemption Ark is first rate hard SF space opera. Revealing a universe teeming with exotic human factions like the Cojoiners, who blend their humanity with advanced technology and Ultras, who crawl between star systems in their relativistic star ships, Reynolds' world-building is first rate. The characters are varied and well developed, although it helps to have read Revelation Space to better understand the motivations of some of them. Filled with action, far future technology, and great characters, I'm giving the Yoshirap seal of approval to Redemption Ark.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a second, I know I am just a reader, and some times I my comments make me sound like I'm stoned (I am), but, what gives one man the right to give the Yoshirap seal of approval? What about Jason and Kendall? I dare say they haven't even read the book.

September 13, 2006 at 9:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason W. said...

Yes. I think you are exactly right. You do seem stoned much of the time. Yet Mike permits your continued contribution. I wouldn't piss him off if I were you.
Only I can piss him off since the SFM is not enough of a draw for him to come to Seattle to smite me. You on the other hand, are well within range. Just stay at the fourth LaGrange point and hope he doesn't notice. Good luck.

September 13, 2006 at 10:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jason W. said...

And one more thing. Get a f*cking icon already will you! Mike wills it.

September 13, 2006 at 10:08:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't add an icon which will display here. I moved my blog to beta-blogger. Google doesn't support me logging into my beta-blogger account to post a comment on a old school blogger.com blog. But, I got an icon, anyway, just for you. Click on the link under my name to see it. I went with an animal theme as a nod to you.

September 14, 2006 at 1:49:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Mike said...

Wow. You can cut the sexual tension in here with a knife.

September 16, 2006 at 7:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jason W. said...

Remember you're referring to happily married guys with kids. You must mean a lack-of-sex tension. Often mistaken.

September 21, 2006 at 8:43:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home