Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Top Science Fiction Movies of All Time

The mysterious entity who I will only refer to as "K" pointed me to Rotten Tomatoes list of the top 100 science fiction films of all time. Fancying myself to be somewhat of a connoisseur of that genre, I thought I'd give my comments on the top 10.

10. Aliens - A well deserved slot for one of my all time favorite movies and an SF classic. Vicious aliens, space marines, cool weapons and a host of classic lines. What more do you want? Game over, man.

9. Star Wars - An excellent choice for ninth place. Star Wars redefined science fiction cinema and changed summer movies (and popular culture) forever. Plus it had lightsabres!

8. The Host - Never seen it, never heard of it. Apparently its a Korean film about something or another. Most likely it sucks.

7. Children of Men - Over-hyped, overwrought, and somewhat stupid. No doubt here because it won some recent award or something. When compiling "best X of all time" lists, one should exclude nominees that are less than 5 years old. History will not look kindly on Children of Idiots Men.

6. The Empire Strikes Back - Now we're talking. The most awesome Star Wars movie of all time, and that's really saying something. I'm your father! You bet you are, baby!

5. Minority Report - WTF? Can someone please explain to me how the plot to setup Tom Cruise as a murderer was supposed to work? Anyone? I didn't think so. Rule #1 of all time movie lists: don't pick movies that have giant plot holes.

4. Alien - No argument here. Creepy monster movie set in space, and one of the greatest scenes in movie history. Geez Kane. you aren't looking so good.

3. Metropolis - I've heard this movie hyped so much I can guarantee that I think it will suck if it ever makes it to the top of my Netflix queue.

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - OK, this was a good one. I think it is one of those films that you have to see a couple of times to really understand all of it. A little too recent to be positive, but a good pick nonetheless.

1. ET - Gimme a break. Who made this list anyway? No way this is the greatest SF movie of all time. It wasn't even the best SF movie of 1982. Khaaaaaaaaan!

With 2001 and The Terminator not in the top 10, how am I supposed to take this list seriously?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tommy said...

First of all that list sucks. Is there no page that just lists out all 100 movies in order? You have to click 100 times to see all 100 movies.

Where is The Last Starfighter?

The Last Starfighter has it all:

+ A trailer park kid makes good defending the Frontier against Zur and the Ko-dan Armada
+ A flying Delorean
+ The villain Zur carries a huge scepter, has a ridiculous evil laugh, and is revealed to be the sniveling idiot son of the leader of the Star League.
+ Meteor Guns
+ Shape shifting aliens
+ The original Beta
+ Death Blossom!

Last but not least:
+ The Last Starfighter reinforces the fact that all that time spent playing video games is preparing you to someday save the galaxy!

July 11, 2007 at 8:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jason W. said...

I have to agree with MM completely and even a little bit with our resident stoner who liked the last Starfighter.

FWIW, 2001 is #1 on my list.
ET? not. F***ing not.
I'm also going to throw Contact in there. What about Blade Runner?

As for Metropolis, Jackie already Netflixed that one so I've seen it.
Anything really old, weird, and German has a certain charm.

July 11, 2007 at 7:42:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Mike said...

Tommy,
Excellent post. See what you can do when you're clean and sober? I concur that The Last Starfighter is a classic and any list that doesn't have it in the top ten is a crock.

Jason,
2001 is my number one pick as well. I'll make my call on Metropolis in a few months when is crawls its way to the top of the queue.

July 14, 2007 at 6:23:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Tommy said...

"See what you can do when you're clean and sober?"

That's what my supervisor at work says, but, it's just not worth it.

I think I need to move to the Pacific Northwest.

July 14, 2007 at 8:55:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home