Monday, June 26, 2006

Comics Review: The Astonishing X-men Volume 1



I picked up this graphic novel last week. It was written by Joss Whedon, who you may remember from the short-lived yet very well done TV series Firefly. I started reading graphic novels a couple of years ago, having avoided comic books in my youth, but have mostly avoided the superhero genre until now. With the recent release of the X-men 3 movie, I thought it would be fun to take a look at this "re-imagining" of the famous and long running X-men series.

The book collects the first 6 issues of the new comic. It starts with Kitty Pryde returning to the Xavier Institute after some time away. Things are much different than in the movies. A mutant named Emma Frost is apparently running the school now. Along with Cyclops (aka laser-boy), Logan, and the blue beasty guy. Professor Xavier is not around and Jean Grey is dead. I'm not sure where this new series fits into the overall continuity of the X-men, but that doesn't matter much as the story requires only a vague understanding of what the character's individual situations are. Similar to the latest movie, the story revolves around a cure for the mutant gene. Familiar X-men themes of human hatred toward the mutants and whether the right reaction to that hatred is peace or violence permeate the story. I really enjoyed the writing and the artwork. You can really see Joss Whedon's style come through in the writing, as there are some great one-liners to go along with the strong character development. Overall, I'd give Volume 1 of the Astonishing X-men 4.5 stars. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason W. said...

Those issues will become quite important as some of us move on to Human Ver. 1.01 with our cyborg implants. The ferral humans will try to stop us.

Armed with the entire knowledge of the human species wired directly into my cortex, I, Google-brain, will be so annoying that I'm sure they will try to stop me. They always do.

June 27, 2006 at 7:53:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home